Talks, training and counsellor CPD courses.
‘Self-Care in Self-Employment’ 2020, Greenbank Business Network, Liverpool.
‘Staying compassionate with physical disability you can’t see’ 2019, Liverpool Humanists.
‘Self-care for psychological & physical therapists’ 2017, Ullet Road Eco Offices, Liverpool.
‘Living Well with ME/CFS’ 2016, Hampshire Friends with ME.
‘Alternative approaches to pain management’ and ‘Mindfulness for wellbeing’ sessions for Breast Cancer Care, 2013 - 2018.
‘Acceptance & Denial in ME’ 2013, Kirklees ME Support Group, Huddersfield.
Training primary care mental health colleagues at Knowsley IAPT in 'Working with people who have CFS/ME' 2010.
Trained GP's in 'How the Benzodiazepine Reduction Programme supports patients' for 5 Borough's Partnership NHS Trust 2006.
Group sessions are available for the public and organisations on the following areas:
Self-care for counsellors in private practice
Sleep Hygiene - working with / improving your sleep;
Understanding physical disability you can't see.
Benzodiazepine Reduction - issues for withdrawal & support;
Working with people who have long term conditions;
Having a loved one with CFS/ME - Support for Family & Friends;
Working with people who have CFS/ME;
Fatigue - what helps and what hinders; Living well with a chronic physical illness;
Acceptance & Denial & self-management in CFS/ME / Physical Illness;
Effective pain self-management in chronic illness;
Pacing strategies for chronic health conditions;
All the above can be tailored to individual group needs - please contact me to discuss rates & availability
An experienced integrative counsellor who has also worked as a manager/trainer and is also an expert patient, I am able to offer a unique and deeply empathic perspective on health management. Working for many years in NHS Primary Care, I have a good working knowledge of NICE Guidance and issues that can be encountered in putting these into practice for individuals. My experience of qualitative research & evaluation, both academic and outcome-based, gives me a good working knowledge of analysis of complex specialist areas. My book 'Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME - Support for Family and Friends' (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2010) has been well received for its clear, accessible style.
As a specialist in the interaction between mental health & chronic physical health problems I have taken a consultancy role in a variety of settings, for example:
- I am the author of ME charity Hampshire Friends with ME's patient information sheets
- NHS on Merseyside 2001-2013 as part of ‘Specialist Clinician' role - Provision of informal specialist guidance and supervision to colleagues and other professionals on working with CFS/ME & Benzodiazepine Reduction. Ongoing support to NHS colleagues.
- Panel member at ME Association annual National ME ‘Question Time' event, Huddersfield 2011.
- Women's Health Information & Support Centre (WHISC), Liverpool, 2011 - clinical advisor to application process for funding for new counselling project.
- Singing Dragon Publishers, 2011 - evaluation report of draft of proposed UK publication of ‘Breaking Free from Persistent Fatigue' by Lucie Montpetit, & review for press release and book jacket.