Group Sessions and Staff Training
I have many years experience delivering training both within the NHS and in the third sector including Victim Support, Breast Cancer Care and Kirklees Independent ME Support Group.
I have delivered group sessions to both staff and patients in areas related to mental health, therapy and chronic illness including the specialist areas of Benzodiazepine (tranquillizer & sleeping tablet) reduction & CFS/ME. I am currently the facilitator of Breast Cancer Care's Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Group in Liverpool.
Group sessions are available for patients and staff in the following areas:
Sleep Hygiene - working with / improving your sleep;
Benzodiazepine Reduction - issues for withdrawal & support;
Working with patients who have long term conditions in primary care;
Having a loved one with CFS/ME - Support for Family & Friends;
Working with patients who have CFS/ME in primary care;
Fatigue - what helps and what hinders; Living well with CFS/ME;
Acceptance & Denial & self-management in CFS/ME / Physical Illness;
Effective pain self-management in chronic illness;
Pacing strategies for chronic health conditions;
All the above can be tailored to individual group needs - please contact me to discuss rates & availability
An experienced integrative counsellor who has also worked as a manager/trainer and is also an expert patient, I am able to offer a unique and deeply empathic perspective on health management. Working for many years in NHS Primary Care, I have a good working knowledge of NICE Guidance and issues that can be encountered in putting these into practice for individuals. My experience of qualitative research & evaluation, both academic and outcome-based, gives me a good working knowledge of analysis of complex specialist areas. My book 'Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME - Support for Family and Friends' (Jessica Kingsley Publishers 2010) has been well received for its clear, accessible style.
As a specialist in the interaction between mental health & chronic physical health problems I have taken a consultancy role in a variety of settings, for example:
- I am the author of ME charity Hampshire Friends with ME's patient information sheets
- NHS on Merseyside 2001-2013 as part of ‘Specialist Clinician' role - Provision of informal specialist guidance and supervision to colleagues and other professionals on working with CFS/ME & Benzodiazepine Reduction. Ongoing support to NHS colleagues.
- Panel member at ME Association annual National ME ‘Question Time' event, Huddersfield 2011.
- Women's Health Information & Support Centre (WHISC), Liverpool, 2011 - clinical advisor to application process for funding for new counselling project.
- Singing Dragon Publishers, 2011 - evaluation report of draft of proposed UK publication of ‘Breaking Free from Persistent Fatigue' by Lucie Montpetit, & review for press release and book jacket.